Book reviews & Upshot

• Hi,

Here you can write your Book reviews. Please be so kind not to give too much important content away.

Did you enjoy it? Please let us know, what the organisers and the mods should improve for the upcoming reading groups in another language.

Thank you very much for taking part in the reading group.

Best wishes,

Marypipe

• What shall I say - I read the last 200 pages at once, I wasn't feeling well yesterday and just plonked myself on the sofa with a blanket, a hot-water bottle and the "Ruler" which helped me forget about feeling sick.

Looking back, this volume was the best of the three (although I also liked part 1 and 2). The writing seemed a little more mature to me, there were lots of surprising turnarounds in the plot, and the growing suspense just kept me glued to the book.

The mostly short chapters add to the "speed" of the book, I think it is very well paced without being superficial.

The idea of the flowers (I won't say more here to avoid spoiling!) appealed to me a lot, as did virtually everything in Herbie's superb and unique faerie world. The characters were lively and credible as usual, while having evolved a little in the course of the three books. I also found the aliens well integrated after their appearance had surprised me a bit at first glance. And there were wonderfully few fantasy clichés in the books. No moralizing, no boring quest, just lovable figures with good and bad sides to them, fun and suspense to guarantee a highly enjoyable read.

I really was a little sad when I had to leave all the folks behind whom I had grown to like (I would have loved to meet Flapwazzle once more towards the end ... but I do very much hope he'll join the cast again for Part 4.)

Many, many thanks to Herbie for inviting us into the faerie world and for joining our reading group! :winken:

Nicht müde werden,sondern dem Wunder wie einem Vogel die Hand hinhalten.<br />-Hilde Domin-

• Thanks a lot, Herbie, I'm pretty fine again ;) (Reading good books MIGHT have a healing effect...)

Nicht müde werden,sondern dem Wunder wie einem Vogel die Hand hinhalten.<br />-Hilde Domin-

• Hi,

so, it's time to sum up a little bit. I agree with Valentine that this is the best of the three books so far and mostly for the same reasons. The protagonist are interesting AND developing (well, except for Pyrgus perhaps ;D ) and the lack of most clichés resp. the way of playing with them gives a fresh wind to the faeries and their world. And of course I would have been happy to meet Flapwazzle once more in the book, too ...

There were many surprising turnarounds which hardly ever became obvious at the first glance but fit well all together in the end (apart from the one thing I mentioned in the last section, but this might well be a very personal impression). What pleased me in all of the books is the combination of fantasy with technology without becoming a science fiction story but playing with this genre's stereotypes as well. And there are so many little details which make the world interesting, just to name a few from this book: the flowers, the communication system Woodfordi is part of, the "furnishing" of the hospital, and many other things.

Fortunately enough, there are still some questions open, so I'm really looking forward to book four and re-meeting all the characters. By the way: What happend to Brimstone and Chalkhill? I'm sure they already have plans! ;D

Aldawen

• what can i say?
    when will the next book be published? ;)

great story, wonderful characters.. i had a lot of fun reading. it's quite sad that the book is over.

it was like a rollercoaster ride... and the crowd calls out for more.

@ herbie:

THANK YOU so much for one hell of a ride.

8)

soft

• Thank you for the kind words. The next one is due out in Autumn 2007 in the United States, in February 2008 in Britain, and the manuscript has just gone to my German publisher so they can decide whether they want it at all.

• Hi,

the manuscript has just gone to my German publisher so they can decide whether they want it at all.

good to know. So we can all write to the publisher and heap them with pleas for the book ;D

Aldawen

• Before giving a final opinion on a book, I always let it settle down a bit and read something really different inbetween.
    As I have done this now, I'd like to contribute my famous last words: ;)

First of all, I liked the book - but I think, I didn't like it as much as the first two. There were certainly some funny and loveable new characters included (first and foremost Woodfordi!!), it was also great to meet some of the old favourites again like Kitterick and Fogarty...

But... I didn't feel comfortable with the construction of the plot - it seemed to me too twisted and too far-fetched (if this is a valid criteria for Fantasy ;D) -

I liked the idea about the aliens being really unmasked demons, but I didn't like the entire construction around them about the implanting and breeding etc. - that was just too complicated and long wound to me...
    The false breeding- story about Henry and Blue (which had seemed illogically to me in the first place), the illusionary demon army - all these red herrings just to say in the end - hey, you got it all wrong... the real plan is after all...
    - too much to-ing and fro-ing for a pretty straightforward plotline - if you ask me.

I wasn't too impressed about the open end either... After all Henry is just a kid - and even if he doesn't get along very well with his horse-crazy sister and his parents - that's the way it is at this age... o.k., his family situation isn't easy, but it doesn't mean that he isn't deeply attached to all of them (he even seems to like the new girlfriends of his parents) - I don't think it's a good ideas to make him decide at this point which world he wants to belong to.
    Well I don't know what's going to happen in the next book - maybe there will be an excellent way out of all of his problems ;)

I realize that this was a whole lot of criticism, but still - I really enjoyed the book. Herbie's language, humour and characters are absoulutely fantastic and I'm certainly looking forward to autumn 2007 :lesen:

• Fair points -- it certainly turned into a highly convoluted plot. That said, the identification of aliens and demons dates right back to the first book, while the treatment of abductees and the lying nature of the aliens, is a clear thread in UFO literature. I do agree Henry is far too young to make the choice between the worlds, but this will be dealt with in Book 4. Keep reading!

• As this reading group seems more or less finished I want to make the most of the opportunity and say "Thank you" to Herbie for his participation, answering our questions and giving insights we otherwise would have missed. Herbie, I really hope to see you again here on book four! :)

Aldawen

• Me too, I would like to thank Herbie for participating in our reading group, for answering our questions and for giving many interesting insights. I really enjoyed this reading experience a lot and I love the work you have done so far with the Faerie Wars series, Herbie. I couldn't say which of the books I liked best - if I really had to make a decision, I would probably choose book 2.

Concerning "Ruler of the Realm", I think I have to agree with some of the points that malta made

- it seemed to me too twisted and too far-fetched (if this is a valid criteria for Fantasy ;D) -
    - too much to-ing and fro-ing for a pretty straightforward plotline -

Maybe a little less would have been better here.
    The way it is now I sometimes had the feeling that things were happening or changing much too fast. Many interesting topics were brought up, but not discussed in further detail - I would have liked to know more about some topics like the time flowers (where they come from, how they work), Ogyris' motives for helping the demons (did he really just do it for the money?) or the motives of the faeries of the night for proposing peace talks and so on...

Nevertheless, I have to stress it once again, I really enjoyed the book and I can't wait to read the next installment of the series. Thanks for joining us and hope to see you again!!

Best regards,
    Tamora

• It's been very much my pleasure. It's also been a most interesting experience. Generally when you publish a book it seems to drop into a black hole: you never quite know what readers think. Of course on some you get fan mail, which will tell you broadly whether somebody liked a book or loathed it, but detailed discussions are few and far between. Thank you very much for your insights and comments. They are hugely appreciated.

• Not sure if anybody's reading this now, but if you are...

Just heard that my German publisher will definitely be taking Faerie Lord, the fourth and final book in the series. No publication date as yet, but I thought I'd let you know.

• Not sure if anybody's reading this now, but if you are...

Just heard that my German publisher will definitely be taking Faerie Lord, the fourth and final book in the series. No publication date as yet, but I thought I'd let you know.

Wow, that's good news! So I'll keep an eye on the publisher's announcements. Hopefully we can welcome you here on a new reading group then ... ? :)

Aldawen

• Wow, that's pretty good news!

I'd be ready for another reading group with you, this one was so much fun 8)

• Suse

Hat das Thema geschlossen

Anstehende Termine

1. Freitag, 6. April 2018 - Sonntag, 22. April 2018

gagamaus

2. Freitag, 6. April 2018 - Sonntag, 22. April 2018

Caren

3. Freitag, 13. April 2018 - Sonntag, 29. April 2018

Dani79

4. Freitag, 13. April 2018, 09:59 - Sonntag, 29. April 2018, 10:59

Avila